Blogging is a great way for a business to drive traffic to its website and also increase SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). By writing about key issues and topical content a blog can position your brand as an industry leader and help develop better customer relationships.
If you are wondering how to start a business blog read our 9 top tips here :-
1: Choose the best blog layout
Here are the three most commonly used business blog layouts:
- Three-column layout with two sidebars and the main content column
- Two-column layout with one sidebar and the main content column
- One-column layout with only the main content column
The most popular option out of all three layouts tends to be the two-column, main content plus sidebar layout. The key to making this layout work for your business is to ensure that the sidebar focuses on your business goals, with the most important elements at the top.
For example, if you want readers to opt into your email list, your email list opt-in box should be at the top of your sidebar. Follow it with links to your social media profiles, top content and other information. No matter what layout you choose for your blog, make sure that it’s a mobile-friendly.responsive design.
2: Headlines are critical
The headline, or title, of your blog post is critical to that post’s success. Often, the only thing that people will see before deciding whether to read your post is the headline – in a retweet, for instance. On average, 8 out of 10 people will read headline copy, but only 2 out of 10 will read the rest.
Great headlines need to grab attention. That means you should:
- Use numbers where possible– “5 Social Media Tips” is more compelling than “Social Media Tips” as it makes a specific promise. To see numbers in action, take a look at the headlines on the front cover of magazines.
- Use adjectives to add interest– “5 Easy Social Media Tips.” Words like easy, simple, quick and straightforward appeal to our desire for instant wins. You can also try words like powerful, or ones that hint at something new – perhaps secretor little-known.
3: Use keywords to reach more customers
A keyword is a word or phrase that people use when searching the web. When you’re planning your posts, it’s a good idea to have a particular keyword in mind that you want to optimize for. You’ll use this keyword in the headline (title), and subheadings too, as well as in the content of the post.
4: Give your business blog a name
Some companies prefer not to use the word blog, you may prefer to use something like “online magazine.” It’s a good idea to make your domain name as similar as possible to the site name in your header, otherwise readers can get confused.
5: Have a great opening
The start of your business blog is almost as crucial as the headline. A great opening will seize the readers’ attention, setting up their expectations for a valuable post. A poor opening will have readers yawning and clicking away. Some good ways to open your post are:
- Ask a question– this gets readers engaged instantly. It also helps your blog sound friendly and inviting, as though you’re talking directly to the reader.
- Write a powerful fact or statement– this excites the reader’s curiosity.
- Ask “why”– if you’re writing a tutorial or how-to, readers may need to know why this is important, so that they have an incentive to read on.
6: Only use your own content
The content that you post on your blog should always be your own. Google frowns upon “duplicate content” – the same text repeated on multiple sites, or even in multiple places on the same site. When it comes to guest posting, big blogs will almost invariably ask for your content to be 100% unique and never-before-published.
Most bloggers are aware that they shouldn’t repost other people’s content, but just to be clear: it’s not okay to republish someone’s post on your blog without consent, even if you attribute it to them and link back to the original. It’s fine to quote a short passage from their post, though, if you want to discuss it on your blog.
7: Quotes from experts
When you include quotes from established experts, you add authority, value and interest to your blog posts. Sometimes, you may well find that a blogger or author has given a concise summary of something you wanted to explain to your readers. Quoting from them is more efficient than attempting to rewrite their words as your own.
You can also use inspirational, provocative or funny quotes to get readers’ attention. These can work well at the start of blog posts or on Twitter and Facebook.
8: Use pictures to enhance your blog
Good images – whether photos, screenshots, illustrations or cartoons – will enhance your posts. You can use them to:
- Draw the reader’s eye(and attention) – usually at the beginning of a post.
- Set the tone for the post– this can work especially well for humorous or inspiring pieces.
- Break up long posts– placing images either between or alongside paragraphs.
- Add extra information– screenshots and photos can really enhance “how-to” style posts. You can add arrows, circles, text or underlining to help your readers, too.
9: Use social sharing buttons
Social sharing buttons are a must for your blog post content. They make it easier for your readers to share your content on the social networks that matter to you.
If you’re comfortable editing your blog design, you can choose to add the official sharing buttons from Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest and your other favourite networks. These buttons pull the title, URL, description and an image (depending on the network) from the page they’re installed on and allow visitors to share them.
We hope that your find these 9 tips on how to start a business blog of use. Here at hellomint we write blogs all the time for our clients and can help you enter the world of business blogging. For more information and advice please do not hesitate to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org